Jonesboro band takes on Arkansas Open

By Eric Watson, Golden Eye Staff Writer

Photo provided by Molli Beaverstock
Members of the Jonesboro High School Marching Band perform Oct. 21 at a marching competition in Forrest City.

The Jonesboro High School Marching Band takes on the Arkansas Open on Saturday at Arkansas State University to compete against area bands for its last marching competition of the season.

Grant Harbison, band director at Jonesboro High School, said competition judges provide comments and ideas about how the band can improve its routines and performances.

Marching band season at JHS includes after-school practices that can last hours.

“I’m looking for us to make every day better than the last, and make this last performance the best. We want to end on a high note,” Harbison said.

To end on a high note, Harbison said he hopes the band performs at its best.

“This is the best band, overall, that I have ever had: the sections, the way they balance, the way they work,” Harbison said. “For the first time, this week I feel comfortable, relaxed and calm because we are in a good place.”

Band members also are optimistic about Saturday’s performance.

Parker Long, the percussion captain at JHS, said he’s looking forward to his last high school marching competition.

“Being a senior, I know this is my last high school competition, and I have done everything in my power to prepare myself for it,” he said. “I will remain more focused as this day approaches and will stay true to my drumline as well as my band.”

Parker discussed how he cares about his section.

“No matter the differences between everyone, I appreciate the character and diversity in the members of the drumline, and I wouldn’t trade them for anybody else in any other section,” Long said.

Parker looks forward to Saturday to “support everyone who has worked just as hard as us and being able to march the Arkansas Open one last time.”

Isabella Owen, mellophone section leader said it’s important to stay focused.

“I want everyone to do their best and for this to be the best performance yet,” Owen said. “Most importantly, have fun, because band is all about celebrating music with the people you love.”

She said the Jonesboro band will be set apart from other bands at the Arkansas Open because we care more about each other than we do about winning.”

“We let our love for music overcome our disagreements,” she said. “It definitely shows in the way that we interact with each other. Other bands are more focused on a trophy. Trophies break, but the bonds that we make are long lasting.”