Student eyes career as weather forecaster

Rae Bowman, a sophomore at The Academies at Jonesboro High School, hopes to pursue a career as a weather forecaster in the future.

By Keegan Riley, Golden Eye Staff

Rae Bowman has wanted to be a weatherman since they were 3 years old. 

A lifetime fascination with extreme weather phenomena began when Bowman, a sophomore at Jonesboro High School, watched the documentary series Storm Chasers with their parents. The thrill and unpredictability of weather fascinates them to this day.

“I feel like meteorologists get a bad name,” Bowman said. “Everybody expects them to be perfect. Weather doesn’t work like that.” 

As a field that relies heavily on prediction, meteorology is prone to misreporting. Commonly weather patterns change as time passes, making reporting the upcoming weather difficult, according to Nate Byrne of ABC news.

Byrne said that using multiple weather models can decrease the misreporting of future weather.

The current purpose of meteorology is not to provide a perfect schedule for the weather, but to provide a baseline idea and to research what causes these changes and phenomena. 

Outside of meteorology, Bowman is a large proponent of freelance journalism. 

“The public deserves to know about the world,” they said. 

They suggest a link between the two fields, saying that there is an overlap in skills between the two. Public speaking may be useful for both depending on the specific way that someone pursues them, and they use a similar method of conveying information to the public.

Bowman’s interest in writing informs both of these pursuits. Bowman hopes to improve their writing skills this school year in order to tell better stories. 

“I love telling stories,” they said. Real or fictional, the spread of information is of great importance to Bowman. 

Aside from academic pursuits, Bowman said they enjoy books, playing trumpet and piano, Tim Burton movies, and playing with their pets, a dog and cat. It is crucial to remember all of the aspects that make up a person in order to tell their story. 

“You can’t leave the public in the dark about certain things,” Bowman said.