Albert Austin: A hero at the heart of JHS

By Amelia Coleman, Golden Eye Staff Writer

Keeping a high school alive is no easy feat. Hundreds of students require supplies, food, educational resources and suitable learning environments. Many of the forces in helping students to get what they need, however, are often overlooked. 

Mr. Albert Austin is on the custodial staff at Jonesboro High School. He grew up in Haynes, which is near Forrest City. In August 1989, Austin came to Jonesboro. After starting out working at a maintenance shop, he worked at Jonesboro High School as a substitute custodian at night, off contract. It was 1998 when he began to work at the school on contract. However, Austin did not stay at JHS the entire time. From 2007 to about 2016, he worked at Health and Wellness, an elementary school formerly known in Jonesboro as South School. Then, around 2016, he came back to JHS. When not working, Austin loves fishing, walking and watching Western movies. Catching fish is not the only aspect of fishing that appeals to him, though. He enjoys the sound of the water and the peacefulness, too. 

“They think it’s a hard, hard job. It’s not a hard, hard job unless you make it that way,” Austin said of his work at JHS. “I find if you treat people the way they want to be treated, your job will go smoothly.

“And I come in every morning. … I might be sick, but I come in with a positive attitude because I never know what kid will come in here … sick, not feeling good, just needs somebody to talk to. … I love my job. I wouldn’t change anything about it.” 

Needless to say, Austin cares greatly about students. An influential part of Austin’s career is being available to speak to them if they want to talk to somebody. In his eyes, though he has two sons — 28 and 31 years old — he has hundreds of children from the schools where he has worked. With a protectiveness toward students, he is willing to pinpoint and stop harmful behavior toward them. Being part of the school system for more than a decade has involved peaks and valleys: Austin has attended funerals of some students. 

“I tell everybody: Be respectful to everybody around you because you never know the last time you’re going to see that person,” Austin said.  

When he was 13, Austin was met with the death of his father. This event influenced him to offer another piece of advice to teenagers: Always give your parents respect, no matter what kind of parents you may have, because when your parents are gone, it hurts. In 1992, Austin’s brother was involved in altercations with someone else, leading to him being shot in the heart. Discouraging teenagers from participating in gangs, he pointed out, “You don’t need a million men; you don’t need a thousand men to tell you that you’re great. As long as you’re doing what you’re supposed to be doing, you’re great.”

In addition, he offers tips on success in life. 

With the desire for respect to always circulate in schools and for students to be safe and successful, Austin brings positivity to Jonesboro High School. Even in times of weariness and uncertainty, he persists in his career. 

“You’ve got two things in life you do. You can succeed or fail, and it’s all up to you if you fail,” Austin said. “Well, what if I want to succeed? Well, you’ve got to get up off your butt and do what you’ve got to do. Nothing’s just going to drop in your lap.”

Amelia Coleman | Golden Eye Staff Writer