Club involvement boosts engagement

By Juan Monrreal, Golden Eye Staff

The Academies at Jonesboro High School has wonderful opportunities for students to get involved.

At the beginning of the school year, students have the chance to sign up for extracurricular activities and clubs they think they’d like best. Some of the most popular organizations are Interact Club and Key Club, both community service groups.

With numerous amounts of active members, Interact and Key Club have sparked an interest among the student body.

Lily Meeks, a junior at The Academies at Jonesboro High School, is an active member of both clubs as well as other organizations like National Honor Society.

Meeks describes the clubs as fun as she has made tons of new friends and has learned to become more social.

“They open the door to tons of new opportunities,” she said. In these clubs, opportunities like getting to celebrate Halloween with the children at both Pre-K centers and helping other clubs organize their events pop up all the time.

“It looks amazing on college applications,” Meeks added. Universities love to see committed students who are willing to put effort into their schools and communities.

Being a part of both Interact and Key Club has forced Meeks to become outgoing. Whether  building connections with her school peers or strangers in the community, she has been able to create new relationships with people from all different places. Meeks loves being able to make her community a better place and especially loves putting smiles on children’s faces.

Fellow junior Marisa Rodriguez is an active member of Interact and Key Club as well as National Honor Society, FBLA and JHS Ambassador.

She loves the role in leadership she’s developed over the past year as it has helped her broaden relationships with people in the community.

Rodriguez expresses how community involvement has benefited her by broadening her communication skills.

“In this community, teamwork is a huge deal,” Rodriguez said. “Having the support of one another is very important.”