JHS students, teachers talk spooky night of Halloween

By Nathan Barber, Golden Eye Staff Writer

Students and teachers at Jonesboro High School shared their opinions and favorite memories about Halloween.

JONESBORO — A symphony of doorbells ring throughout the neighborhood, followed by the opening of doors unto imposters of ghouls and monsters. Any other night might cause bewilderment to these homeowners, but instead they hand out candy into the waiting hands of children on the spooky night of Halloween.

Halloween is viewed as a time of amusement, but these feelings change over time and become varied depending on who is asked.

JHS encapsulates these varying opinions by having people who still partake in the night’s festivities to those who feel indifferent toward the holiday.

JHS students seem to enjoy the events of Halloween such as dressing up and eating candy. These levels of excitement vary depending on the person.

JHS junior Jackson Noles attests to his love of Halloween while junior Maggie Xu treats it as any other night.

These opinions are changed by time as people, like Coach Battles, go through phases of excitement depending their age. One thing that seems to be constant is their original enjoyment of the holiday as a child.

This disinterest can be caused by a number of factors like time constraints or other obligations, which is the case for senior Anna Weiner.

Another important factor is age, which can limit the activities that people are able to participate in such as trick-or-treating for children, at least according to people like senior Ben Brown.

Disinterest in the holiday affects adults as well with Coach Battles choosing to go hiking with friends and Mrs. Hamilton spending most of the night trying to hide from trick-or-treaters. That doesn’t mean adults cannot enjoy the holiday though, as shown by Mrs. Hamilton planning to dress as Hermione for a party this year and Coach Battles describing his favorite Halloween moment as the year he went trick-or-treating with his nieces.

These memorable events during Halloween also affect students.

Noles is fond of one of his past costumes that consisted of a pumpkin head with a cloak, and Brown beamed with pride over his “original” idea for a costume, a white trash bag over his clothes. Events as simple as sorting through candy for Weiner or as big as being featured in the newspaper at 3 years old for Xu has ensured that Halloween is still a cherished time for many throughout JHS.