Students, career coaches talk colleges

Molly McAlpin | JHS Golden Eye STEM Career Coach Chris Cross (left) and senior student Jayden Fleeks pose for a photo in the library.

By Molly McAlpin, Golden Eye Staff Writer

A number of seniors at JHS are planning to attend college locally so they can stay close to home where they’re familiar with the area. 

Senior Evan Hurt plans to attend the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville. He said the University of Arkansas was the only school he visited, and he noted he has family members who attended the school. 

Students also said financial considerations were a factor in choosing the schools they wanted to attend. People considered how expensive college was and if they could afford it. Some students who were interviewed also said they got offered scholarships. 

Senior Jacob Weatherly got offered a scholarship for baseball to a few different places, and he said he made his decision based on how much they offered. 

JHS career coaches also chimed in on what students should consider when selecting schools. 

Career coaches Austin Copenhaver (BCAL) and Chris Cross (STEM) said student involvement in and outside of school were factors colleges and universities considered before admitting students.

“I tell all my students that while you’re in high school you want to get involved in some clubs so you can add that to your resume,” Cross said. “You want to earn a good grade point average, and make sure you take the ACT as many times as you can because that’s going to set you apart from the other people.”

While Cross said good grades and high ACT scores are important, college admission officers really want to see students who are active on campus and in their communities.

Students also said they considered the programs the schools offered and whether these schools had the programs and courses they needed and wanted. 

Junior Taliyah Williams said she had three different colleges in mind — the University of Central Arkansas, the University of Arkansas-Little Rock and Hendrix College — and considered them because of their “location, financial aid programs and opportunities.” 

Williams also said she considered “what they offer.”  

Senior Michael Cocherell, who is interested in attending Arkansas State University-Newport, said he considered the opportunities the school offered before deciding that’s where he wanted to go. 

Knowing what you want also helps in deciding on a college, Cross said. Cross said students should write down wants in classes, clubs, and internships before applying and searching for a college. It can help to know what you’re looking for before you look, he said. Students should also know what they want to major in so they know if the school offers that program. 

Cross said researching and visiting schools can play an important role in making a decision.

“You have to write down your wants,” Cross said. “If want to go to a school that’s big, if you want to go to a school that offers internships or study abroad, you have to sit down with yourself and identify what you want out of your college experience, and that’s how you can choose a college that’s best suited for you.”

Molly McAlpin | JHS Golden Eye
STEM Career Coach Chris Cross (left) and senior student Jayden Fleeks pose for a photo in the library.