Resources to help students prepare for life after high school

By Lydia Fletcher

Preparing for life after high school can be a daunting experience, but Jonesboro High School provides resources to bridge students into adulthood.

By proving career counselors, The Northeast Arkansas Career and Technical Center and social media, JHS students are able to become aware of the resources that are accessible to them.

JHS College and Career Counselor Chris Cross said one of his goals as a counselor is “to share his experience and help students find a fitting career for their interests.”

Cross said “open communication with students is essential.”

His love for open communication and dedication to his job allow students to become aware of the opportunities that are ahead of them.

He said another goal as a career counselor is “to have (students) to be aware of their GPA and ACT score and to understand that to get admitted to school, that those things are very important.”

Cross also tries to inspire and help every student that walks into his office.

He said he’s always willing to share his experience as a struggling high school student to prove that one can get anywhere with hard work and dedication.

“Anything is possible if you put your mind to it and just have goals and tackle them,” Cross said. “Hit them head-on, and be successful.”

Whether these goals be attending a four-year university or obtaining a two-year technical degree, JHS provides the proper resources to help students achieve their goals.

The Northeast Arkansas Career and Technical Center (NEACTC), is another resource on JHS’ campus to help students prepare for post-secondary life.

Eddie Crain, principal of NEACTC, highlighted the beginnings of technical education and how the NEACTC came into existence.

From its humble beginning in 1976, the NEACTC has grown to hold students from 13 different school districts and offers up to a dozen different classes.

These classes include advanced manufacturing, culinary arts, criminal justice, CNA medical professions and others.

“(career and technical classes) really set up to provide things that the traditional high school cannot provide.”

One of the ways Crain advocates for career and technical education (CTE) is by going around to schools in the area and spreading the word.

Recently, a superintendent from a school in central Arkansas reached out to Crain for advice on how to create a CTE program and convince students to attend.

Crain said, “ Spread the word and that the only way to do that is one on one.”

Recently he has joined social media and uses the platform to advocate for CTE and NEACTC.

He tells students that by obtaining credits and skills with the NEACTC, it allows them to find jobs immediately out of highschool and helps them with a two-year certification.

He believes that “students need good skills to provide them with good opportunities.”

Jonesboro High School College and Career Counselors and The Northeast Arkansas Career and Technical Center allows for students to find the proper fit for their career and have a successful post-secondary life.